My boyfriend always tells me that Kale is the number 1 green (according to his research) and spinach is number 2. I’ve decided to look into this and find out if this is true and if so, why is Kale the best vegetable?
Here’s what I’ve discovered!
1. Kale is extremely high in iron
2. Vitamin K – kale is packed with vit K which can help protect against various cancer. It also helps prevent blood clotting, promotes bone health and can even help sufferers of Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Basically 0 calories – well 36 calories per cup, 4 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat
4. Antioxidant rich – another anti-cancer benefit
5. High in Vit C, Vit A & Calcium
6. It’s anti-inflammatory – one cup of kale has 10% of the omega-3 fatty acids. These fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders
How to painlessly incorporate kale into your diet:
I blend a 50/50 blend of spinach and kale into green smoothies with fruit! It’s so delicious
A friend of mine has invented the ULTIMATE smoothie recipe. He put in a lot of research to come up with a smoothie that he can have once a day (paired with a zinc tablet), that contains all of the vitamins and minerals that he needs.
Ultimate smoothie recipe:
- 1 banana
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup spinach (minimum)
- 1/2 cup kale (minimum) ** You can replace kale with strawberries/kiwis or red peppers**
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (more if you’re not having your iron supplement)
- 28g almonds
- 1 brazil nut
- Kale Chips
- Use it in salads!
- Sneak it into brownies
- Kale pesto
- In soup – pop it into a vegetable soup – you won’t even know it’s there
In conclusion: I am now obsessed with kale.
Do YOU eat kale? :) I’d love to hear recipe suggestions and your experience with kale below!